Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Inspirational...

These photo's are of Connie Culp after various surgeries: 1st, after being shot by her husband and 2nd, after her new face transplant.
This photo is of how Connie Culp looked before her she was shot by her husband with a shotgun.

I read this story today on http://www.msnbc.com/. I know these pictures are hard to look at, but when I read this story about Connie Culp...I got goosebumps when she said this.....

"Culp said she wants to help foster acceptance of those who have suffered burns and other disfiguring injuries.
“When somebody has a disfigurement and don’t look as pretty as you do, don’t judge them, because you never know what happened to them,” she said. “Don’t judge people who don’t look the same as you do. Because you never know. One day it might be all taken away.”
It’s a role she has already practiced, said clinic psychiatrist Dr. Kathy Coffman.
Once while shopping, she heard a little kid say, ‘You said there were no real monsters, Mommy, and there’s one right there,”’ Coffman said. Culp stopped and said, “I’m not a monster. I’m a person who was shot,” and pulled out her driver’s license to show the child what she used to look like, the psychiatrist said."
I know sometimes it is hard not to stare or to be curious about others, but I really found her statement to be inspiring! Her message is truly one in the same with what the Savior teaches. I think that it is amazing that she can have such a positive attitude, after what she has gone through. From being shot by her husband, various surgeries, and I am sure much persecution from others. I think it is a real blessing that medical practices continues to advance. I think it is even more amazing that she had the courage to do an experimental surgery, and even more so that the doctors and hospital are covering all the costs. It goes to show that ultimately the Lord's will will always be done!

No comments: